spud

Default Cranberry Wine Roxanne's Recipe

Hello:

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and reading everything I can
get my hands on about cranberry wine.

Never having made wine before, I was intrugued with Roxanne's recipe
(see below). But as my goodies bubble away I am concerned if this is
going to turn out sweet or too high in alcohol, too hot.

Since my research has found lots of folks that have made cranberry
using this recipe or alternatively a starting out SG of 1.115, I was
wondering if anyone would be willing to share thier impressions of the
results. Too hot, too sweet just right, what?

I've made lots of beer before, and ya didn't have to wait so long for
the feedback results. I guess my question stems from an impatient
nature. Is that common with newbies too?

Take Care and TIA
Steve Vegos
Oregon

Roxanne's Recipe:
http://venus.spaceports.com/~jrjeff/winerec.htm

2 pounds cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 pound raisins
3 pounds granulated sugar (about 6 3/4 cups)
1 campden tablet
1 teaspoon nutrients
1/4 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1 1/4 teaspoon acid blend
1 package wine yeast
1 gallon water

Chop cranberries coarsely. The goal here is the break the skin on
every berry to help the juice leach into the water. Place them in the
primary fermentor. Add raisins, water, sugar, yeast nutrient, pectic
enzyme, acid blend and crushed campden tablet. Stir well to dissolve
sugar. Let sit over night.

The next day, check the specific gravity. It should be between 1.110
and 1.115. Add yeast and mix in well. Cover primary fermentor. Stir
daily for five days.

Strain fruit, squeezing out as much juice as possible. Put into
secondary fermentor and place airlock on the bottle.

For a dry wine, Rack in three weeks and return to secondary fermentor.
Rack again in three months, and every three months until 1 year old.
Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in
1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor.
Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart
with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year
old. Bottle.

Ths wine is best if you can refrain from drinking it for a year and a
half from the date it was started.