Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Looking For "Chewy" Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe-Not Soft Or Crisp

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> On 9/24/2011 5:18 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> >
> > For many years I would only use the "original" Chocolate Chip Cookie
> > recipe on the Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chip package, and thought
> > they were near perfect. However, the original recipe called for 1/4 tsp,
> > water and I don't recall it using 1 cup of all butter, and the cookies
> > were thicker and chewy, but I used 1 cup of Crisco shortening in place
> > of butter, as found that made them flat and crisp, and I don't like thin
> > crisp cookies.
> >

> Alton Brown had a show years ago that featured three different recipes
> for chocolate chip cookies: crisp, chewy, or soft.
>
> This is the only one I could find on the Food Network site:
>

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/the-chewy/49666.html

I remember the show that you mentioned in your first paragraph, which I
think is different than the show above. All three recipes are on the
site, but there is no explanation as to why the changes make for the
different cookies. It's a combination of flour, fat, leavening, shaping
and cooking, as well as some other changes. It was quite interesting.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA