Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Menu for diarrhea?

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Angela is sick. I don't know what is going on. She restarted the
>> Metformin and is now up to 2 pills per day. Will up it to 3
>> tomorrow. That will be 1,500.
>>
>> It started with diarrhea but I don't really think this is from the
>> Metformin because she took that dose for many days with no problem.
>> She was also very tired, cranky and had an ear ache, sore throat and
>> runny nose
>>
>> She already had a Drs. appointment for the follow-up on her hand/arm
>> twitch which had resolved. So we mentioned the other symptoms.
>>
>> Dr. said she had a slightly red and swollen ear and wasn't going to
>> do anything about it. Said that things like this resolve on their
>> own in kids her age. I pointed out that the last ear infection did
>> not resolve itself. It started in May and kept going until June!
>>
>> So she prescribed Azytrhromycin but said not to give it to her unless
>> she got a fever. I did anyway. But not right away. I waited 2 days
>> until she was screaming with ear pain. I didn't actually take her
>> temperature because I still do not have an accurate thermometer and
>> refuse to keep buying them. I have bought dozens over the years. They
>> will show us with a fever and then we will go to the Dr. and be
>> found to have a normal temperature. Or they show us with no fever
>> and the Dr. says we have one! Anyway she went from feeling chilled
>> (it was a warm day) to sweating (and by then it had cooled off). She felt
>> hot to the touch. So that was on Sunday. She was also
>> sleeping a lot. I had to wake her. And she was going to bed early.
>> Neither thing is like her.
>>
>> She missed school on Friday. I didn't really believe she was sick at
>> first. She said she had diarrhea and complained of the ear, throat
>> and runny nose. Got right back in bed and ate nothing that day but a
>> few bites of cereal and only because I told her she had to eat
>> something. Since then she has eaten little. Was having one bout of
>> diarrhea a
>> day. Seemed to resolve with a store brand Imodium. But then late
>> last night she got up from bed, almost crying from stomach pain. Severe
>> diarrhea! Took the maximum dose of the store brand Imodium
>> which is 4 pills. First 2, then 1 then another 1. She stayed up,
>> hovering over a bowl not sure which way she was going to get sick. I
>> finally gave her a can of diet ginger ale and then she felt a bit
>> better. I debated taking her to the Dr. again today but so far no
>> diarrhea.
>> However she says she does feel sick to her stomach.
>>
>> Her Endo. is not in on Tuesdays. Apparently he is there early in the
>> morning for some kind of appointment but then he leaves. I don't
>> know if he does surgery or what but he does not answer calls today. So I
>> didn't bother trying to call to see if this stomach stuff could
>> be from the Metformin. But the family practitioner she saw didn't
> [...]

I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat it with
the antibiotics.

As for the ear infections, I don't know why they say that but they all seem
to. Angela was once at the ER where the Dr. said she had a raging ear
infection but he did nothing about it. I think that was the time she wound
up going to my ENT who did prescribe something. For the ear infection prior
they only gave her drops for pain which did nothing at all. I think she
made three trips to the Dr. before they would prescribe something. They
always think it will resolve in its own.

The thing I have had that I have sometimes gotten to resolve is a fungal
infection in the ear. Sometimes if I catch it right away and keep treating
it with half rubbing alcohol and half white vinegar I can kill it. But only
sometimes. Sometimes it just makes it worse by keeping it slightly at bay
and then as soon as I stop using the drops it rapidly mulitplies.

I am going out to buy her some rice cakes. She will need something in her
lunch. I hope, hope, hope she can go to school tomorrow!