Joe Sallustio

Default Wine vinegar - need advice

> Does the vinegar get better with age?

I doubt it, it's pretty good at 6 months. It never sits around long
enough for me to find out. I have 9 liters I just pulled off and it
will be probably gone in 4 months. A lot of people want the vinegar.
I buy the 375 ml bottles to give it away in.

> Is barrel aging better than glass?

Probably. My wines are pretty oakey to begin with; I also throw all
of the spent Stavin Beans from a years winemaking into the vinegar
crock.

If I had a spent 5 or 12 gallon barrel I would use it. I used to use
carboys but getting that cellulose out can be a real pain. I now use
new 3 gallon crocks.

> Have you tried making any herbal vinegars?

Not yet, I'm making the 'rose' vinegar Ray refered to right now to do
that with.
Regards,
Joe