Ed Marks

Default Viognier Kit Opinions

Thad,

I'm glad to hear that the juice was that yummy - I'm leaning toward the
Brewking at this point since I've had good experiences with their kits so
far.

Regarding MLF, let me take a stab at answering your questions (I don't claim
to be an expert).

Why is it done? The reasons a
-biological stability - many wines, reds in particular, will undergo MLF
naturally at some point, so it's better to induce it and get it done
-flavor profile - the wine will taste softer when the malic acid is
converted to lactic acid, and there are by products, like the buttery taste
you mention, that many people like
-acid adjustment - MLF is one way to reduce the acidity of a wine that is
too acidic

Why would it make a wine flabby? Wines are flabby if they don't have enough
acidity. The juice in kits contain a lot of malic acid, and the acid
profile is intended to be the acid profile upon completion of the wine for
the best flavor. If you converted the malic acid to lactic acid it would
reduce the overall acidity and acid profile, so the taste would not be as
intended, and most likely flabby because of too little acidity. I guess you
could remedy that by adding tartaric acid, but the flavor profile might not
be good.

Why would wine made with grapes be different? It isn't, except that it's up
to the winemaker to decide what the flavor profile will be. If you've put
all your pinot's through MLF and they've come out fine, it's probably
because they started out with enough acid, beyond the malic, to taste good
after MLF. Like you said, it's a stylistic aspect of winemaking.

I hope that's helpful.

Ed