Brian Lundeen

Default Viognier Kit Opinions

"Ed Marks" > wrote in message
> I'd like to start a viognier to have for next summer, and would like to

know
> if anyone has experience with any kits that are available. The two I've
> identified are Spagnols Cru Select Platinum Viogner and BrewKing

Selection
> Viognier. Has anyone tried these and have any opinions about the quality

of
> the finished wine, or are there other juice sources you'd suggest?

I did the Spagnol's. Twice. I was so disappointed with the first one, I
bought a second one, figuring I did something wrong. Same results. Even
though both dropped below 0 Brix, they have a cloying candy-like finish. I
wanted a nearly bone-dry wine, and having used K1-V on the second, figure
that everything that could ferment, did. I figure it's something created in
the concentration process, because I pick it up in a lot of kit wines. It
didn't jump out at me with varietal character, either. One of them got
bottled, and maybe something positive will happen there. The other I might
just use for blending.

Brian