Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Wendy, Meals on Wheels provides this service to the elderly. I don't
>>> know about the remote area that Julie's parents live in. I know some
>>> restaurants make your choice from 10 items, prepared in advance, frozen
>>> and you only need to reheat them. These would be more upscale meals and
>>> typically are a touch more appealing than the meals on wheels options.

>> I know that is available in Seattle. Don't know about where they live.
>> But I know they would never eat that. Between all their dietary issues
>> and pickiness it would never work.

> Its amazing what people will do when there aren't other options though.
> The time has now come where they have to rethink their whole lifestyle.
> Its too late to say they should have thought these things out a long time
> ago though. I used to care for a man who had a stroke, his wife is a well
> known author. They lived not all that far from me but on acres in this
> wonderful valley. The wife couldn't look after him and write as well so
> she got a nursing service in to do all his personal needs stuff twice a
> day. She also hired a woman who came in and cooked fabulous meals a few
> times a week. They didn't need to be frozen as she was there often enough.
> She would also do a bit of basic housework as well. It worked for them. I
> have tried online shopping a couple of times, didn't like it as much as
> going to the supermarket myself but that is workable. You could order for
> them if they choose that path.

I found out tonight that most likely he will not be allowed to drive for 6
months. He is doing quite well in some ways but there are some memory
issues. We were told this will most likely get better.

I told the person who was working with him that my mom doesn't like to cook
(she took offense to this) and that they normally go out to eat, which they
do. I also told her that he doesn't know how to cook much, which he
doesn't. So she said they would put him in the kitchen and teach him how to
cook a few things. My mom seemed a bit horrified at this and said he was
capable of getting his own cereal and making eggs if he wanted them. And
that she could cook but didn't because *he* liked to go out to eat. I am
not sure how much truth there is in this at all. Frankly I don't think so.

Yes, I know they both like to go out to eat and always have. But I think it
is more a matter of her not wanting to cook over the years and her being so
limited as to what she will cook.

I guess we will just have to see how that goes. Personally I don't think
she should be allowed to drive but they did just renew her license in May.
She is very stubborn and will fight me tooth and nail if I try to do the
shopping for them (which I likely could not because she is super picky about
brands and things) or even drive them to the store. She hates to shop and
worse yet she and my dad hate to go shopping with me! I like to go up and
down every aisle looking for new products and if I am going to buy something
I read the label. That is not how she shops. Although my dad does like to
look for new things and will frequently pick up things that catch his eye
that are not on the list.

I may have to drive them to some Drs. appointments and such. My SIL has her
hands full with her own parents who are older than mine. And my nephew is
now back in college and baby-sits his girlfriend's nieces and nephews in his
spare time. So that kind of just leaves me.