Ken Vale

Default Wine vinegar - need advice

wrote:

>I want to turn some of my wine into wine vinegar.
>
>I have seen 'mother' available from the local wine store for reds and
>whites. Is there a real difference? A friend of mine has mother that
>works just fine on his wine and he makes a it with a blend of red and
>white grapes.

Mother of Vinegar is like yeast, it will work to turn alcohol (and
sometimes sugar) into vinegar, any type of mother will work with any
type of alcohol, some just work "better" (flavour, alcohol level, etc.)
with certain types of alcohol plus the mother comes convently
pre-packaged in a base of whatever it is suppossed to work best in (red
wine base for red wine, etc) so if you don't mind contaminating your
white wine with a red wine base (and the less optimal vinegar strain),
or vise versa, don't worry about it.

>Can I use kit wine that has been stopped with sulfates?

Maybe, depends on the sulfate levels and the mother in question. Ask
the supplier.

>Can I use kit wine that has sorbate added?

Probablely not, but again it would depend on the sorbate level and
the mother in question. Again ask the supplier.

>What is the best way to store mother, to keep it active?

When purchased from a supplier it comes in small glass jars (about
jam sized) seems to store ok in those at or below room temperature, I
have heard of people using mother from organic apple cider vinegar with
great success (I have no idea how old said vinegar was) but I would
guess that mother lasts as long or longer than yeast.
Ken