sgbrix

Default Italian Oak Barrels?

"William Frazier" > wrote in message >...
> "Joe Ae" > wrote in message news:R9Mqb.25796> Any
> other suggestions in getting started with an Oak Barrel will also be
> > appreciated.

> Joe - If it can be American oak try Gibbs Brothers. They have smaller
> barrels as well as the large ones. I'm using a new 10 gallon for my 2002
> Baco/Chambourcin wine. It's been in the barrel 4 months now and isn't over
> oaked IMO.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas

Just remember their 10g is actually @ 8.5g and their 5g is 5.5g. I
mean don't be surprise that one will overflow and the other you look
down the bunghole and wonder what heck happened.

Also if you get them SCHT (sap clear heavy toast) you ought to give
the barrel a hit from a rubber mallet and discard most of the burnt
wood that else will float in your wine. They are a bit rough but you
get what you pay for. I had a bad leaker and the old man from Gibbs
guided me with instruction on how to fix it. They wanted to replace it
but I did get the leaks cleared up by myself and the barrel is fine
now.

And for all those that have spouted badly about small barrel ageing, I
like to take all these extra wooden bungs I now have accumulated and
bung up their asses with them. Yea, you have to watch them, wipe them,
spray them but so what? They are like little babies, my babies!

SG Brix