Joe Ae

Default Italian Oak Barrels?

Thanks for the suggestions! I have seen Watson's website so I will call and
get more info.

From the suggestions it sounds like the barrel will be empty for some times.
It seems if you fill it with water/so2 you will lose oak flavor. If you
leave it dry, the wood may dry out and leak problems could develop.

What do you do with your oak barrels when they are not full of wine?
How long can you expect a barrel to last?

Joe

"Glen Duff" > wrote in message
> Joe,
>
> I have a 55 liter medium toast Hungarian barrel that I picked up from
> Watson's (Kevin Watson) at Niagara-on-the-Lake. The price was
> reasonable and it was beautifully made after the squat burgundian style.
>
> The second year of use was with my 02 Chardonnay which was just bottled
> and it is a really promising Chardonnay with a nice oak level.
>
> I would highly recommend them.
>
> Glen Duff
>

> Charles H wrote:
>
> > Joe Ae wrote:
> >

> >> I am finding very limited options in Niagara. A couple of suppliers

carry
> >>French Oak 225L (990$C) ouch. Hungarian Oak Barrels. 60L ($399C) But I
> >>found a supplier yesterday that says he can get Italian Oak Barrels.

100L