ramonfernandez ramonfernandez is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I live in a rural area and my home has a septic system. I'm familiar with
these systems as I've lived in homes serviced by one for over 30 years.
Rarely have I had a problem until recently. I started making wine from kits
last year. I've made 5 kits, 6 gallons each, since August. I'm aware that
cleanliness is very important so I clean my bottles, fermentation tanks,
other equipment, etc. prior to being used. I'm wondering if all of this
cleaner has killed the bacteria in my septic tank and contributed to my
problem. My question to the group: Has anyone experienced any problems
similar to this?

I'd like to avoid having to dig up and replace my system when the solution
might be as simple as not pouring so much cleanser down the drain and/or
adding a bacterial starter to my system.

TIA

John
Hi JB. I think you don't need any septic tank pumping in the near future. I read that as long as you also have enough water, you are diluting the detergents enough not to be too much of a threat to the bacteria in the tank.