Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Hi everybody

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:51:38 -0400, "Janet" >
> wrote:
>
>>BlueBrooke wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery
>>> "curing"
>>> T2, and there have been some interesting results.

>>If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
>>reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it
>>first?

> Hum -- it could have been that type of surgery. I thought it was the
> gastric-bypass type of procedure they were talking about, but I could
> be wrong on that. I'm sure one of our science nerds will know. :-)

I do remember the discussion but can't find it as yet. But I did find
this:

http://www.ccjm.org/content/77/7/468.full

"Further, why would bariatric surgery help with diabetes, and why would
one procedure do it better than another? To be honest, we are not sure,
but evidence points not only to weight loss but also to better insulin
sensitivity and to alterations in levels of hormones secreted by the gut
that increase insulin secretion."

There are references to studies on that page too.