Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low carb diet

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
>>> about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
>>> got to do it.

>> Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she can't
>> either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I don't
>> like. In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just won't go
>> down. I start retching and gagging and it comes right back out. She is
>> the same way. So I have to try to come up with things she will like to
>> eat.
>>>
>>> I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
>>> that she doesn't prefer.

>> I would! I do not like torturing myself.

> Julie, I am not sure you are understanding the severity of Angela's health
> problems. 1. having the problems she has at 13 is so rare, this could be
> the beginning of a lifetime of shocking things for her - health-wise. 2.
> She is not you and she, if she is made to realise the severity of her
> condition, may very well choose different foods rather than starve. You
> can't speak for her. 3. What if she ends up needing insulin to survive but
> hates needles? Do you let her die because you don't want to force her to
> do what is necessary to live? 4. Do you really want to see her on a
> dangerous drug at age 13? 2,000 mg Metformin could do terrible things to
> her. I would be avoiding that like the plague at her age. Her health
> problems aren't going to go away unless you actively help her make some
> serious dietary changes, whether she likes them or not. She is well and
> truly old enough to realise the consequences.

I am certainly not speaking for her. I just hate it when people make
blanket statements like that. She doesn't hate needles. I did. I have to
use them now. I still don't like them. I never will. I punched a nurse
when I was a kid because I didn't want her to draw my blood. Angela has
never had problems getting shots or blood draws. She has no problems when I
have tested her BG.

She is on the Metformin. I don't think we can avoid that. We don't know if
the low carb diet will help or not. I do know it doesn't help me. It makes
my blood sugar go high. I guess we won't know with her unless/until they do
another A1c because she isn't testing at home.

> Young kids all over the world have to go on special diets and medical
> treatments to stay alive, its just a fact of life and these kids have to
> deal with it, whether they are 2 or 13. I can see your point about not
> wanting to force things she doesn't like but its not a choice thing
> anymore, its really serious life threatening stuff. I personally would be
> getting an appt with a kids' hospital endo. Jasmine's open heart surgery
> and 6 weeks in intensive care cost close to $200,000. I paid nothing, I
> couldn't have paid $200 but if I was told without paying she wouldn't have
> the op then I would do everything in my power to get that money even if I
> had to sell myself on street corners, no joke. I would actually do
> something so abhorrent to raise that money. Please don't give in to her on
> this Julie. As a mother, this is very hard for me to watch.

There is no way I could go to a kid's hospital Endo. The only place like
that around here is Children's Hospital. It is not near here and we have to
go there for her back and foot. There is a severe lack of Children's
Hospitals around here apparently and people come from many states over to
get to this one. As such the waiting list for an appointment can be as long
as 6 months. And they do not have any appointments after school You would
think being a place for children, they would do this.

Maybe the school your daughter goes to doesn't mind if they miss school for
a Drs. appointment. Angela's school does. In fact she was chastised for
this on her report card. Now I have no choice but to take her there for her
back and her foot because nobody else around here will treat children of her
age. And it remains to be seen if she will have to miss any school for
those things. She does go next week for both things. We'll see.