Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low carb diet

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > : ...
> : > : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > julie,
> : >
> : > You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
> : > apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.
>
> : I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
> : kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.
>
> : Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in
> them.
> If you won't touch aw meat you are giving your daughter a much harder row
> to hoe, as using al pre-prepared meat is very limiting as so much of it
> ihas things she should not eat in or on it, even the non-gluten nuggests
> now are very carby so they are out. You both have many dietary limittions
> but it is so much worse when you set, in effect, additional limits on the
> food because you don't like to handle it. It makes for an extremely tough
> situation, unless you get Angela, with her busy schedule to learn to cook
> the things you are unwilling to cook.

I do know how to cook. She just won't eat most of what I cook. She doesn't
like my chicken and I don't know why. I was overcooking it for a while
because that is what I learned to do from my mother. I can not eat meat
myself unless it is very overcooked and dried out because that is what I
grew up on.

Tonight I made chicken tenders in a skillet with only some Herbamare. No
comment at all on the chicken. Which I guess is better than a complaint. I
did however find a piece of meat and a potato on the kitchen floor, each
with a bite taken out of them. She did say she liked the potatoes. But I
hated them so I don't think I will be buying them again.

She does like the cooked, frozen chicken strips. They are not breaded. And
because I wrote to the company I have a couple of really good coupons for
them. So I can get them for little money. She also likes the refrigerated
cooked strips, again unbreaded that Target sells. They don't cost a lot.
And she likes some Mexican seasoned shredded chicken that I got at Costco.
I have forgotten to look for it the last few times I was in.

I have tried to cook chicken a variety of ways. The only way she ever liked
it was in Chicken Vesuvio and she refuses to eat it now because of the wine
in it. Not that she could eat it now because it contains a lot of potatoes.
It is not good at all with the wine in it. I did try it without. Really
seemed like it was lacking something.

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change. If she eats the same
thing day after day I guess that's fine with me. She does however seem to
get bored with foods faster than I did/do. I ate the same lunch every day
through all of 7th grade, then switched to something else for all of 8th
grade. Throughout 9th grade and high school, I pretty much lived off of
trail mix and salad when I was out. I had something more substantial for
breakfast but was too busy with extracurricular activities to take much time
out to eat. And when I did go out to eat I had salads.