Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default This is instant couscous

James Silverton > wrote:

>On 8/16/2011 9:33 AM, Tracy wrote:

>> http://www.chefzadi.com/2007/08/plain-or-flavor.html

>> See the tub of flavored couscous that looks like a cup of noodles? I
>> think this is the kind of product that is being advised against for
>> those trying to make "traditional couscous." I have never seen this type
>> of product in the US though. Perhaps it's more popular in Europe.
>>
>> The couscous that one can buy in the states in a box or bulk is just
>> regular couscous which you can cook either by covering with boiling
>> water (quickly) or you can take the time to steam it.

>Is that the answer to the puzzle then? There are at least two ways to
>cook cous-cous.

It is the answer to half the puzzle -- the same dried cous cous
can be used in a steamking method, or in a boiling water/instant
method. The other half of the puzzle is whether different dried
cous cous products are manufactured differently and are supposed to
use one method as opposed to the other.

Steve