Richard Kovach

Default alternate yeast for kit?

I agree with you to some extent that the differences from various
yeasts diminishes with time, but not entirely. And I would certainly
say that my own experiments of using bayanus strains like Premier
Cuvee and EC-1118 versus cerivisiaie strains like Montrachet and
Pasteur Red revealed significant differences well past 4 months, even
14 months.

A lot of wineries go through a lot of trouble to select the best
strains to use for their wines, including many that are not meant to
be consumed for several years.

Perhaps you're just not as in tune with the differences as some people
are? I don't mean this as a personal slam! I think it's pretty
widely acknowledged that different people have varying sensitivies in
their organoleptic senses, just as some people have better vision or
hearing than others. My wife has been a wine drinker for longer than
I, and of the differences that I think are huge she often can barely
notice. Other friends of mine describe differences that I can't
detect.

Besides, it is unlikely that anyone will save much at all, let alone
the majority, of a white kit wine for as long as four years. I would
expect that in the timeframes that most of this wine will be consumed,
the differences could be very significant.

Cheers!
Richard