Posted to alt.food.barbecue
George B. Ross George B. Ross is offline

Default Salmon

bbq ) opined:

> On 8/5/2011 8:42 PM, Charly Horse wrote:
>> Albertsons here in my area has skin on salmon fillets
>> advertised as
>> (steelhead trout? farm raised) $5 a lb a fair price.
>> It's terribly hot and I'm not inclined to a long cook
>> either in or out so I thought I'd post the reciped I
>> got from cooks country show on tv a while back.. very
>> simple and fast
>> When I first tried this recipe There was no skin on
>> fillets available
>> to me so I put the fish on an oiled rack over the boat of
>> cherry chips. I thought it came out well. I've got skin on
>> now but I'm not so sure I want to put it directly on the
>> wood. It doesn't seem to me it would pick up more smoke
>> anyway it's a decent quick cook, I thought you might
>> enjoy. btw done on a gas grill *******
>>

> $5.00/lb is good price for Salmon. I had thought steelhead
> trout was a different fish altogether. After reading
> wikipedia, I guess they are very similar.
>
> Yea, with all the heat going around, I am not inclined for
> long cooks either, indoors or out. Some days, I want
> nothing to do with any food that is hot. Just give me a
> cold cut sub sandwich ...
>
> BBQ

Steelhead is readily available here in northern Indiana and
having smoked and grilled it I can vouch that it is very very
close to Salmon in flavor, texture, etc.

Once I learned the family lineage, I started making friends
with anyone who mentions that they fish the local rivers. In
fact, I made a new friend just 2 weeks ago because of this. I
offered my usual deal which is to smoke whatever he catches
for free if I can keep a small portion.

-george

--
George B. Ross is