Negodki

Default alternate yeast for kit?

"David Savige" > wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had successfully used any different yeasts
> with the Brew King Selection Estate Columbia Valley Riesling kit, or if
> it's more advisable to use the Lalvin EC 1118 that comes with it.

Different yeasts have different (flavour and performance) characteristics.
The one that comes with the kit has been selected because it has the
characteristics that go with the wine being made. But most other yeasts will
work as well, and yield slightly different results. Whether they are better
or worse is more a matter of taste than empirical fact.

Lalvin EC-1118 has a temperature range of 45-95°, an alcohol tolerance of
18%, low flocculation. It is a strong fermenter, low foamer, and has a
neutral sensory impact. Any yeast having these characteristics should work
well.

As long as the temperature range of the substitute matches YOUR fermentation
temperature, and the alcohol level matches YOUR p.a., another yeast should
also work.