Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!!

On 8/4/2011 11:05 AM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:

>>> John,
>>>
>>> I've never heard of coconut juice. A successful Thai chicken satay
>>> recipe mentioned using canned coconut cream.
>>>
>>> Carefully open the can (I forget which brand. Goya?) of coconut milk
>>> and let it sit for an hour. The milk will separate to the top which I
>>> spoon off, leaving the coconut cream behind, to use. Probably better
>>> demonstrated by pouring a can into a clear glass.
>>>
>>> I suppose the juice is a first pass drainage of coconuts?

>> Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
>> you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

> dsi1,
>
> You reminded me of the movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks, of a scene
> that he mentions the coconut milk, juice (not specified) as liquid
> sustenance to some degree but it's pitifully diuretic behavior on the
> digestive system.
>
> Fact or fiction? I dunno.

I've never heard that this is so but it could be. I'm pretty sure that
the Tahitians carried coconuts on their voyages to Hawaii a thousand
years ago. My guess is that they drank the water they contained because
there was no need to take them for planting. They also took taro and
pigs. Where the heck did they get the pigs? :-)