Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!!

On 8/4/2011 10:46 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?
>
> Becca

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any particular brand that I get. I'll
try to pay more attention the next time I go shopping.

There are 4 or 5 different brands on the shelf. The last time I bought
some, the one with the highest fat content was $1.89 per can which was a
good deal. The easiest way to find the highest fat product is to
multiply the calories per servings by the number of servings per can.
The one with the highest calories has the highest fat.

I use coconut cream in Thai style curry, haupia - which is a Hawaiian
coconut pudding, and batta mochi - a rice dessert.

Coconut water seems to be the latest fad drink. My daughter has been
drinking that stuff but it all seems silly to me. OTOH, the next time I
see a box of the stuff, I'll give it a taste. There's one that's been
cluttering up my kitchen. It never occurred to me to actually drink it.
:-)