Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_4_] John Kuthe[_4_] is offline

Default Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!!

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
>>> you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

>> It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
>> was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
>> the brand I picked up, blech.

> It's musty, old tasting, IMO.
>
> It the water from inside the coconut. Many Mexican fruit stands will
> chop a hole in the coconut and stick a straw in it so you can drink
> the water/juice.
>
> Coconut milk is quite different and made from shredding, pressing and
> flushing the flesh.
>
> -sw

Yes, this is what I learned when I got home and Googled "coconut juice"
which turned up "coconut water", and then I Googled "coconut milk".

I knew immediately I had purchased the wrong stuff. Girl at the cashier's
didn't know the difference. I should have asked someone else. But now I
know, very VERY well! :-)

John Kuthe...