Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!!

On 8/4/2011 9:40 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
> want and need is cocoanut MILK!
>
> I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool bicycle
> route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown rice! So now I
> get to ride it again!
>
> John Kuthe...

I like to call it coconut water. Coconut milk/cream is made by grating
the coconut and squeezing the gratings. The old guys used to use the
coconut husks to strain the milk out but nowdays it's easier to use
cheesecloth or a tee shirt.

Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content. I
try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product. I'm
not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the cream
by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content of the
cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They don't make it
real easy. Good luck!