J Dixon

Default Adding Suger { melted or as is }

Ray,
I dont add any water to my grape wines as a general rule and dont
really recommend it most of the time. The exception I make is on the
finishing end at bottling time when I will make up a sugar syrup out of
approx 50 % sugar 50% water. Heating the must can also potentially lead to
off flavors as well. When I need to add sugar I just pour it in and stir it
until it is disolved. Not detrimental to a non fermented must which is in
need of Oxygen to get fermenting well anyways. The only problem I ever had
was when I didn't make sure all of the sugar was in solution and took the
Brix reading which read lower than expected so I added more sugar. The next
day I took the reading again and it was obviously higher than planned so a
lesson was learned. I do know that some wineries just pour it in and then
stir by manual methods (think boat oar) or by pumping, but not sure what the
general commercial consensus is on it though.HTH
John Dixon