Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato AndCheese Pierogi

On 7/15/2011 1:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 7/14/2011 11:15 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
>>> in pictures posted here.
>>>

>> I had some that were store bought frozen but I hadn't eaten them before
>> and I didn't really know what to do with them. They were really good even
>> though I baked them. Didn't know about a sauce or what to serve them
>> with. So I found a recipe for a sauce, then found what they were
>> traditionally served with kielbasa and found they are also often served as
>> a side with pork chops. The sauce is a sour cream-garlic-chive sauce but
>> it isn't as fatty as it sounds. The main ingredient in this sauce is
>> chicken stock. Only about 1/4 cup sour cream to 1-3/4 cup chicken stock.
>> Lots of garlic (be sure not to let it burn because it will ruin the sauce)
>> and chives added as it is served.
>>
>> Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
>> chops there, too.
>>
>> http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/63pl7bx

> They are very common in PA and there are basically three ways they served
> them. Deep fried. They are often sold this way at theme parks. They are
> not served with any kind of sauce AFAIK. Or either boiled or pan fried and
> served with browned butter and sautéed onions. I prefer straight boiled and
> my husband prefers pan fried.

I am in PA. The deep fried are usually those industrial "MrsT" brand.
Best are from the church picnics. Local one just had theirs last week
and they always have homemade pierogies.

There is a local Ukranian church that doesn't do picnics but they do
much more frequent fundraisers and they always have homemade pierogies
and borsht.