Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Do you know of any good Chinese restaurants in Toronto?

Sqwertz wrote:
> Moby_Nick wrote:
>
>> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
>> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
>> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
>> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

> Panda Express.

As Michael Boucher pointed out there are entire regions and classes of
Chinese food. It's like asking what's the best "European" food place in
a city. Warsaw style Polish food and Milan style Italian food are both
European but I might not want to bother with a place that just called
itself "European".

That said, for someone who has never tried any of the regional styles at
all before there's good sense in pointing them to a place that is rather
generic across regional styles, fairly Americanized, and has low prices.
Panda Express does fit that description. How about we think of it as a
"gateway food" to the real thing? ;^) Next step would be a mom and pop
shop place that might say Mandarin or Cantonese on their menu.

Then go downtown for the real regional places. Toronto has those but
they aren't what I would recommend to someone who's never tried any of
the regional styles at all before.