Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Tonight's dinner.

Storrmmee > wrote:
: done it also, good, Lee
: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: > English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol. Half
: > a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't need to be
: > much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something one wants to
: > take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle with dried
: > Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in the micro).
: > Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or
: > just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned,
: > unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and
: > finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes.
: > Then put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
: > semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!
: >

This sounds good, but i use low car tortillas and eat with a knife and
fork. I do use the jarred pasta sauce when I have made some kind of
eggplant parmigiana, or eggplant/zuchinni lasagna and have tons of sauce
left over going mouldy in the fridge. I will make enouh of the fake pasta
dish for two to thre days for me, but that still leaves quite a bit of
sauce left over so fake pizza is a great way to use it uup. I wonder how
a portobello mushroom whoud work as a base? I must try that one!!!

I am u in the country for a long week and kosher meat is not readily
avaiable so I grabed a pound of ground turkey(hence that meatloaf I sent
the recipe for) and a whole fresh chicken for the week and 2 weekends.
part of the meatloaf is currently in the freezer for later in the week adn
last night I roasted the whole chicken, just like i used to for a nice
family dinner, after removing as much fat as possible. I have most of a
breast/wing quarter, carved off the bird last night. there is NOTHING
like freshly roasted chcken! I will use the rest in various kinds of
reheataing or even a cold salad during the week. alernating it with the
turkey meatloaf.

My general directions for roasting a whole chicken-not a precise recipe as
I cannot state absolute ingredients.

Clean the bird and remove as much visible fat as possible. kosher birds
have been soaked and salted, kind of pre-brined, so I add no salt. You
can brine the bird if you like or else jsut salt it along with the other
seasonings. I then loosen the breast skin from the bottom and the top and
make some slits in the breast for seasonings and onion to get into.

Lemon Juice, from 1 lemon(jarred if fresh not available)

fresly ground pepper-to taste

mild curry powder

1 medium onion, half sliced and half diced

Herbs of your choice(last night I used some oregono and added stalks of
fresh rosemary inside the birs(remove before eating:-)

Peheat the oven to 425-450F

rub the seasonings all over the bird, under the breast skin and up the
thighs under the skin inside and all over. stick some thin slices of
onion under the brease skin and even into the slits if you wish. put the
diced onions up the thighs under the skin, inside adn under the bird. Any
slices can go under the birs too.
( I used to do this either the night before or a few hours before, but
now, often just do it right before cooking.

Place chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan that it fits(not too big)
and put into the hot oven. Cook at this temperature about ah hour , or
until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads
165-175 F (I prefer it slightly less rather than mor done. Remove from
pan and make a thin gravy from the onions and juices in the pan by simply
adding hot water to the pan cooking n the to of the stove, beign sureto
scrape off all the yummy bits tht are stuck to the pan. don't be afraid
of using too much water as you can alway s boil it down. Gravy is rady
when it tastes good. Be sure to add the accumlated juices on the platter
you have put the chicken on, as they add greaat flavor.

That's it.

I know there are recipes that cal for 500F or higher ovens, but I find
that gets just too smokey in the kitchen. This is my compromise.

Wendy