Karen

Default Help with 100% whole bread

Nathan Gutman wrote:

> Thank you very much for clear explanation. Now I know that this is
> normal and won't need to go through any experimentation.
> The only thing that I might try is add some more liquid.

I think you already have more than enough. My standard, never fail whole
grain ABM recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 pound (~4 cups) of
flour. That would be 3/4 cup in your 1 pound recipe. Too much water will
cause the bread to collapse back after rising. I also use 2 tablespoons
of oil, which would be 1 in your recipe.

My two-pound recipe:

1 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons oil
1 pound whole grain flour (I use 2 ounces of oats and the rest whole
wheat flour)
2 tablespoons powdered milk
2 tablespoons sweetener (sugar, honey, molasses)
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (not gluten flour)
2 teaspoons yeast

With the oats I like to use the timed cycle and have the oats go into
the water first so they can soak.

Karen