J Dixon

Default Removing CO2 prior to testing TA

Rene,
Here's what I was thinking- you start out with let's say a cup of must
and boil 10 minutes. Now you end up with 1/2 cup after boiling and then take
your 15ml sample of must. Have you not theoretically double the acid content
per volume? I suppose if you started out with 15ml and then boiled it then
you would have the same amount of acid in the end no matter the end volume,
but I don't think that is what he was saying.
John Dixon
"Rene" > wrote in message
om...
> You measure 5 ml sample, then boil. The idea is that the acids are not
> volatile, it doesn't matter whether the sample afterwards is
> concentrated.
> I agree 10 min is abolutely not necessary for wine.
>
> Rene.
> "J Dixon" > wrote in message

t>...
> > Joe,
> > Might be my logic is off, but it seems that boiling the sample for

10
> > minutes would effectually concentrate the sample and alter the results

of
> > your test. I have put my samples in the microwave usually in a water

glass,
> > brought it to a good boil and then tested. My other method is to stir
> > vigorously or shake the heck out of it in a bottle.
> > John Dixon

> > values.

> > > Yes, but wine is highly buffered (50% wine, 50% water has the same
> > > pH reading as 100% wine), so the effect is negligible.

winemakers
> > might
> > >
> > > Find a way to draw a vacuum, or boil the sample, or shake it until
> > > no more Co2 froth occurs.
> > >
> > > Dave

flask
> > or