Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default To wrap or not wrap - pork ribs

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I'm all for using foil if you need it. All it does is increase the
>>> humidity of the cooking environment surrounding the ribs and the
>>> meat therefore doesn't dry out as it cooks to completion.

>> Unmitigated B.S. You can even dry out meat that is cooked in water.
>> Once specific temps are reached, extracellular fluids are forced out
>> of the meat under pressure. This cannot be prevented, only mitigated
>> by the use of time and temperature. All foil does is catch the
>> moisture that escapes the meat, creating a steam bath.
>>
>> As was pointed out, there is the point that foil may reducing drying
>> caused by air movement, but that is more of an issue AFTER cooking is
>> completed for longer term holding, and for reheating leftovers, than
>> it is for cooking.
>>

>>> The Weber Smokey
>>> Mountain is designed to do that. A large water pan keeps the
>>> internal temp at 225F ongoing until the ribs are done.

>> No it doesn't. I have esily gotten the internal temp of a WSM well
>> above 225 WITH the water pan full.
>>
>>> Wrapping in foil, I
>>> think, basically does the same thing.

>> Really? Wrapping in foil keeps the internal temp at 225? Nice one.
>>
>>> I think you always want your cooking temp to be 225F-250F. Anything
>>> higher doesn't allow the collagen to breakdown so the meat "bites
>>> right".

>> Gawd, what an idiot. This proves that you have never bbq'd a rib in
>> your life.
>>

>>> The very slow breakdown of collagen is what makes the rib
>>> taste like ribs should.

>> Uh, no. The breakdown of collagen is what makes the ribs tender. The
>> collagen might add some texture and moisture, but not taste.
>>
>>> This very slow cooking is the basis for "sous vide" cooking.

>> So sayeth the pretentious, pedantic, prig.
>> Dave
>>

>> I live with my level of ignorance every moment in life.

Too true.

>> That's the opposite of a pedantic pretentious prig.

Uh, not really. Being stone-cold ignorant and being a PPP actually go quite
well hand-in-hand. Think about it (of course you'd need to know the
definition of each of the 'P's in order to see how well matched they are).

>You, on the other hand, are threatened by any possible level of ignorance
>you might have. I
>could respond to all you're saying above. I won't. It would threaten
>you, as simple as it is.

<Snork>

> "A human being should be able to drive a truck"

I can, can you?
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------