Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default To wrap or not wrap - pork ribs

Kent wrote:

> I'm all for using foil if you need it. All it does is increase the
> humidity of the cooking environment surrounding the ribs and the meat
> therefore doesn't dry out as it cooks to completion.

Unmitigated B.S. You can even dry out meat that is cooked in water. Once
specific temps are reached, extracellular fluids are forced out of the meat
under pressure. This cannot be prevented, only mitigated by the use of time
and temperature. All foil does is catch the moisture that escapes the meat,
creating a steam bath.

As was pointed out, there is the point that foil may reducing drying caused
by air movement, but that is more of an issue AFTER cooking is completed for
longer term holding, and for reheating leftovers, than it is for cooking.

>The Weber Smokey
> Mountain is designed to do that. A large water pan keeps the internal
> temp at 225F ongoing until the ribs are done.

No it doesn't. I have esily gotten the internal temp of a WSM well above 225
WITH the water pan full.

> Wrapping in foil, I
> think, basically does the same thing.

Really? Wrapping in foil keeps the internal temp at 225? Nice one.

> I think you always want your cooking temp to be 225F-250F. Anything
> higher doesn't allow the collagen to breakdown so the meat "bites
> right".

Gawd, what an idiot. This proves that you have never bbq'd a rib in your
life.

> The very slow breakdown of collagen is what makes the rib
> taste like ribs should.

Uh, no. The breakdown of collagen is what makes the ribs tender. The
collagen might add some texture and moisture, but not taste.

> This very slow cooking is the basis for "sous vide" cooking.

So sayeth the pretentious, pedantic, prig.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------