Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cost cutting the grocery bill tactics

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Been a bit since we have had a thread on this and the scene has changed
> a bit in both produce and items we may be finding. I'd be interested
> in what items the rest of you are using now that you enjoy.
>
> One item almost out of our purchases is beef. Thats not a good sign
> for our economy in the USA but the cost is now radically higher than
> pork, often $2 a lb or more. Fresh seafood is generally cheaper now
> than beef.
>
> Major brands are reducing sizes in small increments while store brands
> and 'off brands' are not. Salt and sugar addition to major brands
> seems to be increasing while store brands overall seem stable.
>
> Thoughts?
> Carol

We're back to using coupons and trying to combine them with sales. There
aren't a lot of coupons we can use given our food allergies and the fact
that we don't buy much prepared food. But we use what we can.

We have cut back on the variety of what we eat, especially with produce. I
buy greens, onions of all kinds, sometimes potatoes, baby carrots, sliced
apples, tomatoes, and once in a while something else. I get the apples and
carrots at Costco.

We are eating less meat. I actually have a good coupon for money off of any
pork product but aside from bacon, I don't eat pork and daughter doesn't
much care for it any more. She used to like pork chops but no longer. If
it's still good when my husband is home I will buy something for him. He
eats it.

We do eat beef but rarely and mostly ground beef.

Daughter likes chicken but mostly I don't. When I fix it for her I usually
just eat peanut butter or beans.

I have discovered Winco Foods. I can save a ton there! I wouldn't say that
they have the highest cuts of meat, particularly beef. They do have some
chicken that looks good.

Mainly we buy stuff like rice, canned goods, produce, cheese, lunch meats
and some gluten free items. Also has the cheapest price on beverages.

It is in another city so we mostly go there once every two weeks. I try to
buy enough to last the two weeks. On alternate weeks, we get what we need
at Costco.

I do shop at some other stores around here which means sometimes going every
other day to some store. QFC sent me coupons for money off and free items.
I got free eggs, yogurt, chips and whatever the other item was now escapes
me. Whatever it was, I got it. Albertsons puts out doubler coupons every
few weeks. You get three in Sunday's paper and they have to be used by
Tues.

I now take the paper to get the coupons. I get whatever coupons I might use
from my dad who does not use them. I have also bought some from Ebay.

I have asked for a chest freezer for my birthday next week. Currently we
have a side by side and the freezer portion doesn't hold much or large
items. I will be able to use more coupons once I get that.