Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba[_2_] Goomba[_2_] is offline

Default Cost cutting the grocery bill tactics

cshenk wrote:

> One item almost out of our purchases is beef. Thats not a good sign
> for our economy in the USA but the cost is now radically higher than
> pork, often $2 a lb or more. Fresh seafood is generally cheaper now
> than beef.

I only compare beef prices to beef, pork to pork, etc. If I want beef,
why would I compare its price to pork??

We tend to pay whatever it costs when we want particular cuts for family
meals. For example, we do a lot of flank steaks when we can get all the
kids together, and I get good meat in larger quantities at Sam's Club.
If I see a sale price, I'd scarf it up and freeze extra.

I get excellent deals on really nice lamb loin or rib chops by paying
attention to the "used meat" shelves. So few people eat lamb around here
that they're always having to mark it down and we swoop in and buy all
we can find then. Obviously we have to have the resources to buy
whenever it comes up, but in the long run we end up saving money this way.