Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Cost cutting the grocery bill tactics

Hi all,

Been a bit since we have had a thread on this and the scene has changed
a bit in both produce and items we may be finding. I'd be interested
in what items the rest of you are using now that you enjoy.

One item almost out of our purchases is beef. Thats not a good sign
for our economy in the USA but the cost is now radically higher than
pork, often $2 a lb or more. Fresh seafood is generally cheaper now
than beef.

Major brands are reducing sizes in small increments while store brands
and 'off brands' are not. Salt and sugar addition to major brands
seems to be increasing while store brands overall seem stable.

Thoughts?
Carol