Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Fair trade tea? Graduate student needs feedback for thesis, thanks!!

Laura Donnelly > wrote:

>I am a graduate student at the University of Southern California who
>is looking into the perceptions people have of fair trade products.
>I=92ve created a short, non-commercial survey and would love to hear
>your opinions.

This is an interesting survey, and I'm curious what you're actually trying to
measure here.

None of my opinions about free trade practices were listed anywhere on the
survey, so it's kind of difficult to measure them.

The survey misses the point (and so do a lot of other people) that free trade
practices exist to insure people making a product receive a fair minimum wage
for doing so, but that in the process it also insures that they won't make
any more for doing so; if they make a product which is of higher quality they
won't be selling it as free trade.

Consequently, free trade is fine for generic commodities, but for specialty
items, it tends to narrow the range of quality down, meaning on the high side
that there's no high quality material being sold.

This is great if you're making huge amounts of generic CTC assam tea, but if
you're talking about the kind of single-estate teas that most of the folks in
this group are talking about, it's not a good thing.

I'm horrified to even think about free trade wines....
--scott