James A. Donald

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:13:02 +0000 (UTC), Hawth Hill
> Look, as I've said repeatedly, I have no sympathy for
> lawbreakers, whether union or management. But, I've also
> said repeatedly that if there is evidence to support your
> statement that "they" broke out windows and slashed tires,
> that's not only a violation of Section 8(b)(1)(A) of the
> NLRA, but also criminal activity that is fully prosecutable
> under local and/or state laws, as well as Federal laws.

We all know that not every law is enforced, not every crime is
prosecuted. The fact that a union exists is in practice a
rather good indication that certain laws are being enforced
selectively, certain crimes prosecuted selectively.

To this day, many people are extraordinarily bitter and
outraged that Margaret Thatcher chose to enforce some quite
ordinary laws against assault when a union boss proceeded to
intimidate those union members that had voted in a politically
incorrect fashion. They feel that it was quite extraordinary
to protect union members from being beaten up by union goons
coming in from far away places - and of course they are right.
It was quite extraordinary.