Wm James

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:43:48 +0000 (UTC), Hawth Hill
> wrote:

>So, please forgive me for simply responding to those who routinely whine
>about how an employer loses the right to run his business when a union is
>selected by his employees. It's simply not true.

It absolutely is true. If I own a business and a union is selected by
the employees, what happens if I exercise my right to deal with
employees as individuals? People are different and I don't believe in
negotiating things like pay with a group. I don't believe in
"seniority" for purposes of promotion, but qualification, work ethic,
etc. Nor do I believe is supporting the union by having my company
collect the dies for them. Do I have the right to refuse to negotiate
with a union? No, not accorting to the unconstitional laws infringing
on the rights of business owners.

If some employees fail to show up for work, I can fire them and hire
people willing to show up for work, right? What if the bums are
spending their days standing out in the drive blocking traffic and
threatening employees and carrying silly signs? Government says I
can't fire them, I can't even have the police arrest them for
harassment or loitering.

William R. James