Hawth Hill

Default So what exactly does Dan Clore do for a living anyway?

in article Ffbyc.2604$Qd.1655@clgrps13, Alex Russell at
wrote on 06/11/2004 6:17 AM:

> The only problem I have with unions are the "closed shop" rules, but of
> course the unions wouldn't have much power without those rules.
>
> I don't like the closed shop rules as they infringe a lot on a person's
> right to enter into contracts. I also don't like having unions use members
> dues to promote policies that many members disagree with, eg political
> contributions.

Well, if the "closed shop" is the only problem that you have with unions,
then you're in clover. The "closed shop" is absolutely illegal in America,
and has been for over half a century. Indeed, it is illegal not only to
"have" such a shop, it's illegal even for a union to _ask_ for one in the
course of its bargaining with an employer, even in a disguised form. Any
collective bargaining agreement providing for such a shop is illegal on its
face, and, if you know of one, all you need do is let the NLRB know of its
existence and sign a simple form called a "charge." The NLRB will take it
from there.

As for the dues being used to promote policies that members disagree with,
you're again in luck. Ever since the Beck decision, members have the right
to demand that any such dues be returned to them by the union. Hundreds of
thousands have made use of that right. (By the way, would you support a
correlative right on the part of a corporation's shareholders to demand that
the corporation repay its shareholders for the costs of its having
advertised, promoted, or advanced policies which the shareholder disagrees
with, including contributions to political parties, PACs, or candidates?) .
.. Again, if you know of an instance where workers' dues are used for such
purposes against their will, all you need do is file a simple form with the
NLRB and they'll take it from there, including getting all the workers'
money back for them, with interest. And, they'll require the recission of
any provision in the union's rules which purports to require workers to
submit to such a practice. . . . Simple. No cost to you.

HH