Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Fizzy?

(Doug Miller) writes:

> In article >, Joe Pfeiffer > wrote:
>>Executive summary:
>>
>>Tried a bottle of the Shiraz I made in January... it seemed just a tad
>>fizzy. What did I do wrong?

> Yes, you did -- you didn't wait long enough. Winemaking is not a hobby for the
> impatient. Next time, wait to bottle until six months after starting the wine.
> A year is better. And wait to drink it, too.

Interesting -- that's much longer than any previous advice I've seen on
how long to wait. Next year I wait longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7830-.../dp/B0009XQUK2

> Pump the vacuum as high as you can, and leave it for several hours. The vacuum
> will decrease as more CO2 comes out of solution. When the vacuum will hold
> for three hours at 525 mm or more, then you're done. I prefer not to bottle
> mine until the vacuum is stable overnight at 550 mm.

Though it sounds like just waiting longer is the right answer -- one
thing I will try is opening one of my bottles, putting a vacuum cork on
it, and repumping nightly for a while.... best try to salvage what I
can!

> I've pulled vacuums as high as 675 mm in glass carboys without damage. I
> wouldn't try that with one of the plastic carboys, though -- I just don't
> think they're strong enough.
>
> For reference, CO2 bubbles ...
> .. will be visible at CO2 concentrations of 1000 mg/L or above; to reduce the
> concentration below this level requires a vacuum of at least 275 mm (or lots
> of time, or agitation, or repeated racking, or combinations of the above)
> .. can be felt in the mouth at 700 mg/L or above (425 mm vacuum)
> .. can be tasted at 500 mg/L or above (525 mm vacuum)
>
> [Above figures based on temperature of 20 degrees C = 68 degrees F; as
> temperature increases, CO2 solubility decreases. At 22 deg C = 72 deg F, the
> vacuum levels required to achieve the concentrations noted above are 250, 400,
> and 500 mm respectively.]

Thanks. This is very good information.
--
"Erwin, have you seen the cat?" -- Mrs. Shroedinger