Wm James

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

:

:
>> No you didn't. You answered why a company would want to pay off the
>> mob running the union. My question was why theu would want their
>> employees following a mob boss instead of the managers of the
>> business.

>If you're trying to say that all unions are criminal
>organizations, you'll have to provide a lot of evidence
>presently missing. I suspected you meant this, but chose to
>take your question in square mode for the sake of a little
>humor. In fact, some business managers have liked to deal
>with unions under the control of organized crime thugs, just
>as they sometimes like to deal with other businesses under
>the control of organized crime thugs, or governments under
>the control of organized crime thugs. Usually, this is
>because they are organized crime thugs themselves. I
>don't find them or their situation very interesting.

I'm not intimately familiar with every union so cannot say that every
union is run by criminals. However I can say that I have never seen
or heard of a labor union that wasn't either run by criminals,
supporting criminals, and or specifically directing their members to
support criminals. Certialy, the only "action" they have at their
disposal to attempt to force companies to meet their demands requires
criminal acts to be effective. Ever cross a picket line? I have
crossed more than a few. They attempt to use violence, threats,
extortion, and vandalism to prevent decent people from exercising
their rights to work and shop. They go out of their way to encourage
jury duty specificaly to get their cohorts off the hook if they get
arrested for perpetrating such crimes as well. Even work slowdowns are
theft, and employers should have the legal right to answer them with
matching pay slowdowns.

>As things stand, unions are simply one possible expression
>of the rights of association, contract and representation
>supposedly possessed by everyone, including employees. Like
>other organizations, they may be occasionally captured or
>subverted by organized crime thugs. They are hardly unique
>in this regard.

Wrong. The companies' right to NOT associate with them is not
respected. When (former) workers fail to show up for work and walk
around blocking the gate instead, the employers are not allowed to
shop for labor elsewhere and replace them with decent people who are
willing to show up and do the work.

You want freedom of association? Great! So do I. Get government out
of it and respect the rights of the business owner to associate with
whom he pleases too.

William R. James