Wm James

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:55:18 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>"Wm James" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Supply and demand. If you can get people to cut the labor supply to
>> drive the price up, fine! Go for it! Just don't demand that
>> government participate by telling the people they can't take the jobs
>> the strikers abandoned to walkthe picket lines. And don't block the
>> drive and otherwise illegally attempt to keep those willing to work
>> for a living from going to work.
>>

>Interesting that you are all for the government protecting those willing to
>work for less but don't want any government protections for those wishing to
>collectively bargain. There must be balance in our system of law or there is
>not law but legalized anarchy by those controlling the law. That is the
>essence of capitalism in America today. Slowly but surely business is
>strangling the good out of America to profit by it. When major cartels
>control the costs of labor, labor will work for poverty wages because that is
>all that is available. I suspect you find yourself in what you believe is
>some safe haven from this legalized anarchy. Only time will tell, but I doubt
>it. If not you, then your children or grandchildren will pay the price for
>this short term frenzy of greed.

What a crock! I want government to protect all people's freedom to
trade. That includes the workers' right to trade their labor for
whatever they want, whether more or les than what you or a union or a
company think is enough. It also includes those joining unions right
to only trade their labor collectively. It also includes a company's
right NOT to trade with those who insist on trading their labor
collectively.

I hope my children and grandchildren develop valuable skills and work
ethics and thus have no use for unions. If your kids are picking the
pockets of businesses and people who actually work for a living, then
the businesses will have more money to spend buying labor from my
kids.

William R. James