Wm James

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:51:41 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>"Wm James" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:49:05 -0500, Alan wrote:
>>
>> If you
>> could take a 10% cut or lose your job, what would you choose? Before
>> you answer, if you can save 10% on something YOU buy by shopping
>> somewhere else, what would you choose?
>>
>> William R. James
>>

>I would and did fight to keep my job and get a raise in the bargain. I
>couldn't have done that without a union. You assume that an employer has some
>right to set pay and working conditions at a whim ... it is only so if society
>allows it.

In a free society, no one is forced to trade with someone if they
don't like the terms. If your employer doesn't want to buy your labor
anymore, you have no more right to demand that he does than the cable
company has to demand that you keep buying what they are selling. If
he was paying $20 an hour for labor last week, and for whatever reason
he sees fit, he decides he's no longing willing to pay more then $10,
he still has to pay you the previous price for work you performed
under that agreement, but he's no more obligated to force you to
continue the previous arrangement than you are. You can stop selling
your labor to him anytime you please, and he can stop buying it
anytime he pleases. ANYONE bying anything has the right to decide
what they are willing to pay. ANYONE trading has the right to decide
how much they are willing to trade and for what.

>Setting aside all your "open market" gibberish aside ...

Rights are gibberish, huh? No wonder you need a union.

>let's set something
>straight. Simply because you have no moral principle other than dollar value
>don't impugn that restriction on the rest of society. I won't buy ANYTHING
>from Wal-mart, in fact I wouldn't take the time to go pick up something they
>were giving away. There are some costs in life beside the dollar cost and I
>will not support that anti-American company and many others. Yes, it does
>cost me more money at times and some times we do without altogether, but it's
>the only way we can eventually rid ourselves of the leeches.

No problem. You aren'y obligated to buy from them. No one is
obligated to buy from you either. Live with it.

William R. James