Wm James

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

:

>>>I've been in a union for 25 years, and I know that, without it, my
>>>salary would have been lower, the working conditions worse (lots of
>>>uncompensated overtime, for example) and I would either be dead from
>>>the stress and/or unemployed by now!
>>>
>>>They aren't all bad, and the situations vary as to whether or not a
>>>union is needed and is effective. In my case it was both needed and
>>>effective.
>>>

>>Are you saying that youcan't get a better price for your labor on the
>>open market, and that you need a thug organization to keep your price
>>artificially high?
>>
>>William R. Jam

>No, I'm saying that being able to bargain as a group got us better
>salary and working conditions than if we had to deal with management
>on an individual basis.
>
>As for the "open market", I have no desire to free-lance, and being in
>a union has meant that I could continue to work at the organization I
>work at -- because I want to work for that organization.

Fine. And if th business desides that that organization is too
expensive and buys labor elsewhere, then what? Are you prepared and
or willing to compete on the open market? Do you seriously think that
union is interested in your well being instead of their own? If you
could take a 10% cut or lose your job, what would you choose? Before
you answer, if you can save 10% on something YOU buy by shopping
somewhere else, what would you choose?

William R. James