Michael Legel

Default Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"michael price" > wrote in message
om...
> The eight hour day was "given" because people stopped being prepared
> to work longer. To get the best workers employers had to offer 8 hour
> days. The fact that the union was there at the time had nothing to
> do with it. Child labour laws were not given out of the goodness
> of anyone's heart. They were brutal impositions on the lives of
> children, forcing them back to the family home to work harder, longer
> in worse conditions so that the elders didn't have to compete with
> them.

You really have no education of what child labor was like in America before
those laws. Your ignorance is astounding.

> Well no it's not. For a start I've never been an employer so you
> are wrong. For a second thing I don't know any benefit of unions
> to employers except that they can cripple opposition businesses,
> which is hardly good for the consumer.

I suspect you have never realized how many times you have directly employed
someone to mow your grass, deliver your paper, baby-sit your children, install
carpet, work on plumbing, put up siding, etc. It is indeed a rare person in
America who has not at some time "employed" someone else to do a service.

A union provides a huge benefit to employers by providing ONE point of
negotiation for all employees. No longer does the boss have to deal alone
with the barrage of complaint, grief and just plain whining of employees. The
union also helps to shoulder that burden and provides a convenient scapegoat
at times. At one time pattern bargaining also provided a level playing field
in wages, but with the demise of unions everybody now gets the same low wage.

Since you refuse to honestly research the facts of union history in America
you can't learn from the mistakes of the present economy. There is no
organization today with enough clout to represent the worker today and today
we call Wallymart, MickeyD, Harpees, etc. .... jobs. There was a time (that
I can remember) when one working person could bring home a paycheck large
enough to support one family of 7 people. Now two wage earners are hard
pressed to support a smaller family. This is not progress.