Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default PING sf Dinner 2011-06-07

I wrote:

> Yes, I made it. Yes, it's quite perishable. The original recipe is in
> _Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys, and Chowchows_ by Christopher Schlesinger. I
> wasn't able to find the book when I looked for it today, but here's the
> general method:
>

> Cut up a big ripe mango.
> Dice a red onion.
> Mince a Fresno chile.
> Mince a garlic clove.
> Chop a handful of cilantro leaves.
>
> Heat grapeseed oil in a pan. Add brown mustard seeds (about a tablespoon)
> and cook over medium-high heat until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Add
> the onion and cook until softened. Lower the heat to medium, add the
> chopped chile and garlic, and cook until the garlic turns fragrant, about
> 15 seconds. Add the chopped mango. Grate on a quarter-teaspoon of
> NUTMEG -- that's right, NUTMEG! The bane of your kitchen! :-) Cook briefly
> until the mango softens, then add half a teaspoon of fish sauce (or more,
> to taste). Cook until the flavors blend, about two minutes. Remove from
> the heat. Allow to cool for a couple minutes, then stir in chopped
> cilantro. Taste, and if you think the flavors need "brightening" add the
> juice of one lime. (In this case, the mango was a bit underripe, so it
> needed longer-than-usual cooking, and the final sambal did not need the
> lime juice.)

Well, I found the recipe, though it wasn't in the book I thought contained
it. (It's actually in _Big Flavors of the Hot Sun_ by Christopher
Schlesinger.) The method I give above leaves out molasses and white vinegar,
which appear in the original recipe. That recipe also does *not* contain the
mustard seeds; that was a tweak I came up with the first time I made the
sambal (about 15 years ago), and I've kept it ever since because I like the
added flavor and texture the mustard seeds add.

Bob