Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default WSM brisket (without hourly mop)

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 08:24:51 -0700 (PDT), unix wrote:

> Gents,
>
> The brisket cooks on WSM I've been Googling all seem to envolve
> frequent mops.
>
> Is there a way I can get a decent brisket done without so much effort?
> I know it takes at least 8 hours for a brisket and I can maybe do one
> mop but no way will I sit around for such a long time watching the
> smoker. I mostly do ribs and leave them for 3 hours, do the foil wrap
> and come back 2 hours later. Fairly doable but what I really love is a
> good brisket.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

There is no reason to mop hourly. You only do it if you want to. An 8
hour cook without mopping might become a 12 hour cook mopping hourly. Many
just apply a rub, cook till done, maybe mop it the last 20 minutes or so.
Or have sauce available at the table for those that want it.

I agree, mopping hourly can spoil the enjoyment of barbecuing. The thing I
am concerned with when q'ing, is maintaining the temp. I like to maintain
it around 300°. Plus or minus 20° doesn't bother me. Above or below that,
I will make adjustments. I have a thermometer outside of the WSM that I
set at 300 in the 12 o'clock position. From a distance, I can the see how
much the needle is away from the straight up position.

Once I get the temp stabled, normally the WSM stays pretty solid at the
temp I want. Then, I am free to go about tinkering around the house or
running errands that are nearby. Even take a siesta. I won't need to worry
about it.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian