Steve Ackman

Default Top Drip Makers under $100? water temp and filters

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 09:16:15 -0700, Swingman > wrote:

> I wonder how to go about determining what temperature a coffee maching is
> actually heating the water to before dripping it through the coffee since
> most machines have hotplates under the carafe? Also, does any company other
> then Braun specifically claim that their machines properly heat the water?

My Bunn A-10 series machine brews at 190°F to 195°F.
Measured by threading a thermocouple into the grounds
and observing the temperature over the brew cycle.

Paper filters do trap some of the coffee oils, which
contain some of the flavor. However, since the
extraction time and temp are optimized, I don't think
the flavor lost to the paper filter is that noticeable,
though I've never actually done a side by side cupping
of the Bunn coffee to a vac pot or french press.

--
Steve Ackman
http://twoloonscoffee.com