Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Jerky recipes (was Alton Brown jerky)

On 6/7/2011 5:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I make jerky for hubby who loves it. I marinade beef in stuff like
> honey, soy sauce, garlic, oil and herbs etc. I then dry it in my
> dehydrator.
>
> Anyone care to share their favourite recipes?

Alas, I haven't made jerky in a long time. But, when I do, I get a
whole, inexpensive beef roast (I forget what sort of cut) and ask the
store butcher to cut it into very thin slices approximately 2- to 3-mm
thick (less than 1/8") - and I show them the bottom side of a (finger)
ring to demonstrate the thickness.

Then, the beef slices get marinated in a mixture of 1/2-n-1/2 water and
soy sauce with a wee bit of Liquid Smoke for about 24-hours or so in the
refrigerator. After marinating, the liquid gets drained & discarded,
and each slice gets thoroughly dried between paper towels, which tends
to use a whole roll.

To dry the jerky, each slice gets individually draped directly over two
rungs of the racks in the oven (I have extra oven racks just for this
purpose). By hanging the slices over two rungs, this prevents the
dangling portions of the raw beef from touching each other during the
desiccation process. The oven light is kept on to help increase the
ambient temperature in the oven. The oven also gets turned on briefly
for a couple of minutes every few hours or so (whenever) to help raise
the oven's temperature a little bit - this is optional. One word of
caution, when the oven is briefly turned on, DO NOT WALK AWAY <vbg>!!!!
I learned this the hard way and ended up 'cooking' the jerky instead,
which is not desirable! After a couple of days, the jerky is ready for
consumption

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!