Stan de SD

Default Starbucks Workers Join IWW

"Paragon" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...

> LABOUR

> > BUNCH

> > MAKING

> > > Not only cliché, but also untrue. In fact, I would hardly
> > > know where to begin to untangle all the falsehoods in this
> > > single sentence. It might make a fun challenge to see who
> > > can point out the most.

> > OK, Clore, tell us what they will get out of those union dues they will

> soon
> > be forced to pay as a condition of working there. Retirement pensions?

How
> > many people are going to make a career of working at Starbucks? Health
> > benefits? How long will they have to work to obtain those?
> >
> > Once again, the unions are trying to find a way of financing their Ponzi
> > scheme retirement plans by looking for new sources of union dues.

> Suckering
> > in workers who won't even be around next year to collect any "benefits",
> > much less 20 years from now, is a racket that any neophyte hustler can
> > play... :O|

> Hmmmm......what do I get out my union...? Let me think: regular raises

not
> based on favortism, recognized seniority for schedule picks and vacations,
> overtime (no, it not all covered by the Federal law), better working
> conditions, paid holidays,
> health benefits (after I finished my probationary period of 90 days), jury
> duty pay, bereavement pay, a grievance procedure for when the boss screws

me
> over (and he will), meal periods (no, the state and federal law don't

really
> touch that, either), report pay (so they don't call me in for 20 minutes

of
> work after a 30 minute drive), premium pay for certain jobs, transfer
> guidelines, protection against managers doing my work and taking my hours,
> guidelines for drug testing.......

I'm currently self-employed, and even with a lukewarm economy, my monthly
income is 3-4 times what I earned at the only union job I ever worked.
Again, the same question applies - given that benefits are aimed towards
long-term career employees, how will the average college-age student benefit
when he or she is going to move down the road in a year or two?