Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

In article >,
" Bigbazza" <BAZ@ gods.countryt.com> wrote:

> " Bigbazza" wrote in message ...
>
> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> anyone here ever cooked in this way?

I've done a few things. The best corned beef I've ever cooked, for one.
143 F for 24 hours. Some very tender pork chops. I did two halves of the
same not-very-tender beef steak, one sous-vide for 24 hours at 130 F
followed by a quick sear, and the other the "usual" way, just searing
both sides, but a bit longer than the other half. The two tasted very
similar, but the sous-vide half was obviously much more tender.

> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook

True, but you don't have to stand there and watch it, so why does the
time matter? In fact, "timing" in order to have something cooked "just
right" is no longer an issue -- a half hour, or an hour, one way or the
other just doesn't make any difference at all.

> and when I say 'Cook', how
> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> anyway?

for things like that, I'd use a two-step process. Do the meat sous-vide
at the temperature you want it to cook (say, 125 F for rare beef) for
maybe 24 hours, and then do a quick blazing-hot-pan sear to add some
flavor and give it a nice appearance. Tastes fine, and is generally more
tender.

> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> such an unusual way to cook.....

It's a bit different, and it's not for everything, but it can do some
things very well indeed. Try carrots cooked in a bit of butter and a
teaspoon of sugar for an hour at 170 F.

Isaac