Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_12_] dsi1[_12_] is offline

Default Alton Brown jerky

On 6/5/2011 7:16 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Alton uses a fan with no heater to dry the meat. The recipe doesn't say
> anything about cooking, and neither do many others. Some call for a
> dehydrator and merely 'recommend' that it has a heater. Isn't cooking
> mandatory?
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

All the directions for jerky that I've seen call for air drying, no
cooking. I've made jerky in the oven at low temperatures but that's only
to speed up the drying. The simplest way to make jerky is to salt and
pepper the meat and lay it out in the sun. My guess is that most folks
will make a screen enclosure to keep out critters.

I suspect that pork jerky might be cooked because the texture seems to
be different.